Development on version 1.x (Current Map Improvements)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
M4rkus

30 Jan 2015 11:11

The latest screenshots give a very neat overall impression regarding sign models, sign placing and landscaping – it's really well done. I don't know how you're building your map in Germany, as there is few Streetview coverage outside the cities, so how is this done?

From what you've shown on the screenshots, I think, vegetation is quite authentic, too. So this is no complaint, it's more some general advice – it's part of my series "giving good advice" ;). This time, it is about vegetation. Actually, there is quite some variation in that respect towards the regions of Germany. I have found a very interesting map showing the land use in Germany:

(Here is a legend)

What can be seen is that there are quite significant differences in vegetation and land use. Forests are unevenly distributed in Germany. Whereas the northern federal states do not have very much area covered by forests, their percentage is quite large in the south and southwest, ranging from about 10% in Schleswig-Holstein to about 42% in Hesse and Rhineland-Palatinate. Additionally, there are differences in whether the forests are coniferous or broad-leaved. For example, forests are mainly coniferious in southern Brandenburg and in the Black Forest. It would be nice, if some new coniferious tree models from Scandinavia were used instead of the old low poly trees. The dominating coniferous tree in Germany is the Spruce rather than the Pine, the latter one already having a decent (although relatively mediterannean looking) model in-game and thus it might have been used more often. With the assets from Scandinavia addon, there are more models that could be used, also such that look more like Spruces.

Besides, I assume, farmlands tend to be larger in Eastern Germany for historical reasons, but I cannot say for sure whether this is visible in terms of landscape. Another interesting thing is pastures - they can be found e. g. in the Allgäu or East Frisia / North Western Lower Saxony. I wonder if you paid attention to this when you built A28, the landscape is very flat and there are lots of pastures with cows on it.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

30 Jan 2015 14:20

Most of the mappers working on the ARP have driven quite a few kilometers on the German Autobahns, even backed up by "local" knowledge other members of the team have (who are not working on the ARP). Heck, we even have a new developer who lives in Germany working on a part of the ARP!

Other than in for instance Finland or Slovenia (where only very few of the map developers have ever been), team-wide there is a well-founded idea how Germany looks like in reality. We have our own experiences here and we have some idea about what we want to recreate.

Combined with Google Streetview (in some cities), photos (autobahn-bilder.de is useful) and RL driving videos), we do have quite some resources to build Germany that really feels like Germany.

About the flora: for Germany, we use the Scandinavian flora already in the rebuilt areas, but as I may have noticed (correct me if I'm wrong), we just planted trees that looked good and not specifically spent attention to the tree species. Spruces are used quite a lot for forested areas in the north along the Autobahns. We may need to spend more attention to that in the future ;)

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

XZV

30 Jan 2015 14:42

Whos the new developer ? :o
Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
Registration Plate: HH WB 67
Map Explored: 61.87%
Distance travelled: 68,131 km

#JeSuisCharlie

ETS2-User
Developer

30 Jan 2015 15:16

I assume it's FH-Fahrer (?) :P
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

30 Jan 2015 15:20

Yup. It is FH-Fahrer. He did build a nice monumental area. I'll keep it a suprise what monument it is... ;)
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

XZV

30 Jan 2015 15:21

Is his username going to be blue?
Headquarters: Hamburg, Germany
Registration Plate: HH WB 67
Map Explored: 61.87%
Distance travelled: 68,131 km

#JeSuisCharlie

M4rkus

30 Jan 2015 16:03

About the flora: for Germany, we use the Scandinavian flora already in the rebuilt areas, but as I may have noticed (correct me if I'm wrong), we just planted trees that looked good and not specifically spent attention to the tree species. Spruces are used quite a lot for forested areas in the north along the Autobahns. We may need to spend more attention to that in the future ;)
But I hope that you don't put spruces everywhere ;). What I wanted to point out, is that they are the dominant species in coniferous trees in Germany. For broad-leaf trees, it's the beech. I think, the standard tree model can be used for that.

And have you built A28? If yes, does it have remarkable pastures in the west? (I think, landscape there might be rather Dutch than typical for Germany but I might be wrong in estimating Dutch landscape).

PH-AMG

30 Jan 2015 16:49

M4rkus wrote:
But I hope that you don't put spruces everywhere ;). What I wanted to point out, is that they are the dominant species in coniferous trees in Germany. For broad-leaf trees, it's the beech. I think, the standard tree model can be used for that.

And have you built A28? If yes, does it have remarkable pastures in the west? (I think, landscape there might be rather Dutch than typical for Germany but I might be wrong in estimating Dutch landscape).
\

Dont worry about that ;) . I have spent countless hours doing research about every specific part I've built, and all the other developers have spent at least the same amount of effort.
If there is no spruce forest irl on a specific part of a highway, I don't build a spruce forest.
I do a lot of research before building an area, most important is to give the autobahn the feel it should have.
(i.e. Between Hannover and Bad Oeynhausen on the A2 there are some hills irl, so I have built some hills there.)
Moreover I have driven almost all of the autobahns currently in development.

spoiler: And yes, the A28 has more of a dutch scenery, for me that area was one of the most annoying and unrealistic places of the default map

ThatYorkshireman
Donation rank:

30 Jan 2015 17:20

Just a quick question, are you giving the Bundesstraße in the north west the same treatment as the Autobahn, Like the updated signs, junctions, road markings and textures?

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

30 Jan 2015 17:22

I can be short on that. Yes they will. All of Germany will get redone in fact ;) This release is the first ARP release.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information