Development on version 1.x (Current Map Improvements)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

16 Sep 2014 20:52

A rebuild of the UK is already planned by the Promods team. Only because of SCS working on this area, development was halted.
So keep your patience, all of the game world will be re-done eventually :)
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Superdavecan

16 Sep 2014 21:27

Volleybal4life wrote:
A rebuild of the UK is already planned by the Promods team. Only because of SCS working on this area, development was halted.
So keep your patience, all of the game world will be re-done eventually :)
Yeah I was pretty sure I'd seen them tell us that SCS was working in the UK and Ireland. Just before I wrote my post I had a look at the ProMods progress chart, which also lists the planned cities. I think that the UK needs more than that though, especially when some of the other countries have proportionally a lot of cities relative to their size... the UK is quite empty! So these were just some ideas on how I thought the space could reasonably be filled. Again, perhaps SCS has already started working on some of these. And nothing wrong with bringing some attention to the UK :)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

16 Sep 2014 22:39

Although the UK has a bigger scale, it isn't really that much of extra space. Besides, to include all the cities you enlisted will take a heck of a lot of work. I think it's better to do the priorities first (rebuild London and Birmingham (especially the latter one feels so tiny compared to RL), build Bristol) and then look what space there is left .

The UK can use some rebuilding, but we rather spend our efforts first on Germany, which is even older in standard SCS format, plus it is one of the most visited transit countries, so a lot of times you have to pass that area.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Purno
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2014 06:45

MandelSoft wrote:The UK can use some rebuilding, but we rather spend our efforts first on Germany, which is even older in standard SCS format, plus it is one of the most visited transit countries, so a lot of times you have to pass that area.
I'd like to prioritize Germany as well, so if there's anything that needs signing in Germany, let me know.

I would also like to offer my signage work for the UK, assuming there's enough models for traffic signs available. :P

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2014 08:11

As the UK part of the map was effectively taken from UKTS, it definitely does need a re-work. I like what ProMods have done in the UK so far with new road layouts etc., and yes expansion is nice but not too practical. That's why I voted for signs to places not on the map, as they give a better sense of location without having to actually build those places.
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

17 Sep 2014 17:20

I agree that Scotland does need more cities and the UK in general, (ok, some of that is probably me being a bit biased), but at the very least, Scotland needs more. Obviously without making it look crowded and there's only a certain amount of space to use anyway.

Superdavecan

17 Sep 2014 19:25

uk_daf_fan wrote:
I agree that Scotland does need more cities and the UK in general, (ok, some of that is probably me being a bit biased), but at the very least, Scotland needs more. Obviously without making it look crowded and there's only a certain amount of space to use anyway.
Scotland needs better representation, no doubt about it. And I really think that the ones I mentioned are all doable... even making Dundee fit between Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
MandelSoft wrote:
Although the UK has a bigger scale, it isn't really that much of extra space. Besides, to include all the cities you enlisted will take a heck of a lot of work. I think it's better to do the priorities first (rebuild London and Birmingham (especially the latter one feels so tiny compared to RL), build Bristol) and then look what space there is left .

The UK can use some rebuilding, but we rather spend our efforts first on Germany, which is even older in standard SCS format, plus it is one of the most visited transit countries, so a lot of times you have to pass that area.
I'm with you on rebuilding Germany being a priority, no doubt about that. I was very pleased to see the ARP (Autobahn Reconstruction Project) take off. (Should it maybe have its own topic, especially if regular updates start happening?)

About the suggestion that the UK doesn't have enough space though, I know it may be a bit tight but even so, I'm afraid I have to disagree. I just had a look at Purno's progress map (the one he has a link to in his signature) and counted how many cities were already existing or planned in some of the major countries. If you include all the ones that are just ferry ports, I saw that Denmark has 14 (too many for a country that size, IMO), France has 35 (quite reasonable), Germany has 23 (actually a bit UNDER-represented now), and the UK has 29 that are marked on the map. Sure, not all of my ideas will work, but I maintain that at least some of them will...
Superdavecan wrote:
In England, some cities that could probably be made to fit include (south to north):
- Truro or Penzance (perhaps Penzance could fit, and it's further away from Plymouth)
- Brighton (OK, maybe not strictly necessary...)
- Oxford (Would be a nice touch but then you'd also have to build the M40, maybe that's not really necessary either)
- Peterborough (not really necessary, it just looked like there was space for it)
- Leicester or Nottingham (One of these should fit for sure)
- Leeds (Hmm... maybe it's a little too close to Sheffield. York is probably a better idea)
- York (It definitely looks like there's space for it.)

It looks like Wales and Northern Ireland will also have good coverage. (I think the number of planned cities is appropriate in both areas)

Scotland though, is badly lacking... Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen really aren't enough. So I'd propose to add these cities and towns:
- Dundee (It can fit in between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. It's also too significant to ignore, I think)
- Fort William
- Inverness
- Wick or Thurso (I think all three are worth doing, especially since Scotland needs more representation.)
Of course, if SCS is already working in the UK, then let's see what they bring... further expansions would depend on what they do or don't do. Either way, as a long-term plan I really don't think that these suggestions are daft, but rather quite reasonable... it's not like I'm suggesting an unrealistically high number of towns, such as some of the ideas I've seen for places like Estonia.

Let's see what happens though... and in any case I quite agree that a rebuild of some of the default SCS areas is a higher priority. :)

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

19 Sep 2014 09:50

Totally out of the blue, I know, but remind me what's the status on Tornio and Haparanda? Looking at the map plan, only Tornio exists as a city, but last time I read, they were both being added as small cities. One tiny request; please add IKEA in Haparanda :lol:

Purno
Donation rank:

21 Sep 2014 06:23

And I'm back to my home sweet home country. Time to add some signs there:

Note: The reason some nav signs are still empty is because some overlays aren't working. So no worries, they won't stay empty ;)

Purno
Donation rank:

21 Sep 2014 07:20

And a few more shots. The team made quite a few traffic signs on my request, so gotta use them too :mrgreen:

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information